Bias vs Perspective
Everyone has a unique perspective on any issue. It is based upon their own unique experiences. Everyone also has a bias. Human nature dictates this.
Bias and perspective are very similar. Here are the definitions:
- Bias: a particular tendency or inclination, especially one that prevents unprejudiced consideration of a question; prejudice
- Perspective: the state of one’s ideas, the facts known to one, etc., in having a meaningful interrelationship
- What media do US teens prefer? Why?
- How do viewers identify and account for journalistic bias?
- How does media shape one’s opinion on any given issue or individual?
Critical Engagement Questions
- Can any journalist / news provider be bias-free and do viewers want that?
- How can individuals become more critical of their news information?
- What does it mean to be conservative or liberal?
- How do other countries report US news and how do they represent the US?
Use the Essential Questions and the Critical Engagement Questions to report a story by interviewing Staters.